GRAPE VARIETIES: Cabernet 60% and Merlot 40%. The Palestina wine is a combination of these two exquisite varieties of grapes to form an elegiac symbiosis
REMARKS: The unusual name is derived the vineyard of the same name which has its own story to tell. Thomas of Ferrari (2012-1925) was a corvette-captain of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. His home port was in Zadar, Croatia and it was there that he made frequent voyages by sea to the land of Palestina. As well as his passion for the sea he was also very fond of his estates of Bronzolo in the South tyrolean "Unterland". One day he decided to make a new vineyard by clearing a hill which particularly beautiful in its setting. He hired peasants the distant Canal Valley, the industrious "canalini" to do the work. They worked hard to clearing the land spring through to autumn. While this was going on they were continually asked about the whereabouts of the estate owner and corvette captain by inquisitive villagers wanting to know what was happening. Each time they were asked the "canalini" would reply courtly "in Palestina". Once the work had been completed they returned to their village, but the name "Palestina" has lived on in the hill and the vineyard.
SOIL CHARACTERISTICS: The two varieties of grapes Cabernet and Merlot mature on the wamest and most valuable slopes of the vinery. A special microclimate, the southeast facing slopes as well as the heavy sand and gravel ot the porphyrictic soil are the secrets wich contribute in a unique way to the growth and the maturation process of the grapes.
FERMENTATION, REFINING IN BARRELS AND STORAGE: After careful sorting of the grapes each variety is loaded into its own special tanks and allowed to ferment. They are circulated and mixed daily in order to release the pigments and tannins. As soon as fermentation is complete the wine is pumped into concrete barrels to initiate malolactic fermentation. After malolactic fermentation, app. 55 % of the wine is put into large oak ovals and the remaining 45 % (approx.) into barriques. The wine is allowed to mature there undisturbed for about twelve to fourteen months. After this period of refining the wine is subjected to preliminary filtration and then bottled.
BOTTLE MATURATION: After bottling the wine is stored for a further ten to twelve months in our wine cellar. It is only a completion of this last period of maturation that it is entrusted to our customers.
WINE DESCRIPTION: The Palestina is a red wine with an especially heavy bouquet and a complex array of tannins. Color: a deep garnet-red color. Aroma: concentraded fruity aroma reminiscent of blackcurrants with a hint of roasted coffee. Taste: Warm, mineral and smooth tannins, pronounced structure and lingering finish.
WINING AND DINING: As a consequence of its sublime, velvety character this wine is particularly well-suited to be served meat dishes and game.
Allergic-Info: This wine can contain sulfites
yr. 2004 Wine Enthusiast:
90 of 100 Points.
"Wine Enthusiast" has rated the wine "Weingut H. Lentsch Palestina Sudtiroler Cabernet - Merlot, Trentino-Alto Adige, Italy" from the vintage 2004 with 90 of 100 points.
Alcoholic content: 60.00 %